With mothers day fast approaching, I wanted to make a special clementine and pomegranate cake! I have adapted this recipe from Loraine Pascale’s recipe featured in the recent ‘You’ Magazine. Happy Mothers Day to all the fabulous mums out there!
Pomegranate and Clementine Cake Prep Time: 1 hour | Cook Time: 1 hour
Gluten Free, Wheat Free
You will need:
5 medium sized clementines (not peeled)
120g softened butter
150g light brown sugar
100g runny honey
3 medium eggs
100g ground almonds
25g coconut flour
175g gluten free self raising flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
4 tablespoons of natural yoghurt
2 teaspoons cinnamon
1 pomegranate (Juice and seeds. Save some for decoration)
For the top:
handful of flaked almonds
pomegranate seeds to decorate
What to do:
1. Preheat the oven to 180° C (fan 160° C/350° F/gas mark 4) and line the baking tin with baking paper.
2. Put the clementines in a large pan, cover with water and bring to the boil. Reduce the heat, then cover with a lid and simmer for at least 45 minutes until the clementines are very soft.
3. Let the clementines cool down and then put them into the blitzer and blend until they form a smooth paste and put to one side.
4. Put the butter and sugar in a large bowl and whisk until fluffy, then add the honey and beat together. Add two of the eggs and the almond flour until it has been mixed well. Then add the other egg with the coconut flour, baking powder, cinnamon and self raising flour and whisk. Finally add the clementine paste, the yoghurt, the pomegranate seeds and juice (leave some seeds for the topping) and whisk until all has been combined.
5. Plop the mixture into the lined tin and cover loosely with foil. Bake in oven for 55 to 60 mins. Check cake is cooked with a cake tester.
6. Once cake is cool, dust with icing sugar, flaked almonds and the pomegranate seeds.
Have a great Mothers day!
Have you pinned this recipe? Check out my pinterest!