Christiana’s cottage pie is a definite for the cold, wet weather! If you want a tasty mid week meal, then you can’t go wrong with a cottage pie! You can add all sorts of vegetables if you have any leftovers. I sometimes use courgettes in mine. This should keep you warm and cheery! This recipe feeds two people, but of course you could double the amount and make it for more!
Tasty Cottage Pie
You will need:
500g lean mince beef (or lamb if you prefer)
2 large diced onions
handful of peeled and diced potatoes, or peeled sweet potatoes
150g strong mature cheddar
cup of frozen peas
Gluten Free beef or lamb stock cube
500g carton of Pasata or tinned tomatoes
250ml milk or cream
1. Boil the mince in water (make sure water covers the mince)
2. Cook mince until most of the water has disappeared (as if by magic!)
3. Add the pasata and 1 and a 1/2 pints of beef stock and finely chopped onions
4. Cook for 40 mins until the meat is tender
5. Add the frozen peas (for the last 5 mins)
6. Add a pinch of salt and pepper
For the potatoes:
1. Boil potatoes until very soft.
2.Drain and mash with milk and butter.
3. Add half the grated cheese, add salt and pepper to taste.
Layer the mince meat first in an oven proof dish. I normally use my grandmothers round stainless steel Tepsi (28 cm). You could use an oven proof dish depending on how many you are serving.
Add the potatoes to cover the mince meat and sprinkle on the grated cheese.
Cook for around 35 mins at 180°C until golden brown.
Enjoy with a crispy salad!
Psst! You may want to see my other post on how to make a delicious hearty Fish Pie!
delicious cottage pie
For the mince sauce
- 500 g lean mince beaf or lamb
- 500 g pasata or tin of tomatoes
- 2 large onions or 4 diced spring onions
- 150 g strong mature cheese
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 4 peeled and diced carrots
- 1 1/2 pints gluten free beef or lamb stock
For the potatoes
- handful of potatoes can use sweet potatoes too
- 250ml milk or cream
- 50 g butter
For the mince
Bring water to the boil and add in the mince, leaveing to simmer gently
simmer until the mince is soft
add the tinned tomatoes or pasata and the beef stock
cook on the low heat for around 40 mins
add the frozen peas at the last 5 mins
add a pinch of salt and pepper
For the potatoes
peel and boil potatoes until soft
drain and mash with milk and butter
add half the grated cheese and add salt and pepper to taste
Pre-heat oven to 180 °C
place the mince into an ovenproof dish and cover with the mashed potato
cook for around 35 mins at 180° C until golden brown.
Don’t forget to pin this on PINTEREST! Follow The Gluten Free Greek