Christiana’s cottage pie is a definite for the cold, wet weather! If you want a tasty mid week meal, then you can’t go wrong with a cottage pie! You can add all sorts of vegetables if you have any leftovers. I sometimes use courgettes in mine. This should keep you warm and cheery! This recipe feeds two people, but of course you could double the amount and make it for more!
Tasty Cottage Pie
You will need:
500g lean mince beef (or lamb if you prefer)
2 large diced onions
handful of peeled and diced potatoes, or peeled sweet potatoes
150g strong mature cheddar
cup of frozen peas
Gluten Free beef or lamb stock cube
500g carton of Pasata or tinned tomatoes
250ml milk or cream
1. Boil the mince in water (make sure water covers the mince)
2. Cook mince until most of the water has disappeared (as if by magic!)
3. Add the pasata and 1 and a 1/2 pints of beef stock and finely chopped onions
4. Cook for 40 mins until the meat is tender
5. Add the frozen peas (for the last 5 mins)
6. Add a pinch of salt and pepper
For the potatoes:
1. Boil potatoes until very soft.
2.Drain and mash with milk and butter.
3. Add half the grated cheese, add salt and pepper to taste.
Layer the mince meat first in an oven proof dish. I normally use my grandmothers round stainless steel Tepsi (28 cm). You could use an oven proof dish depending on how many you are serving.
Add the potatoes to cover the mince meat and sprinkle on the grated cheese.
Cook for around 35 mins at 180°C until golden brown.
Enjoy with a crispy salad!
Psst! You may want to see my other post on how to make a delicious hearty Fish Pie!
Delicious pork lasagne
Gluten Free/Wheat Free lasagne
- 500 g beef or pork mince
- 500 g carton of Pasata or tinned tomatoes
- 1 Gluten Free beef or lamb stock cube
- 4 chopped spring onions or small red onion
- 3 chopped carrots
- 1 courgette sliced
- 150 g strong mature cheddar
- 250 ml milk or cream
- 50 g butter
- 50 g plain gluten free flour
- salt and freshly ground pepper
- 12 lasagne sheets
Bring water to the boil and boil the carrots until soft
Add some oil to a frying pan and fry the mince for 2-3 mins until browned all over
Fry the spring onions
Transfer the mince, spring onions and carrots to a larger pan on low heat and add the tinned tomatoes and 1 and a 1/2 pints of beef stock. Simmer gently for around 5 mins and mix well.
Add a pinch of salt and pepper
Soften the lasagne sheets in boiling water
Place the first layer of lasagne sheets at the bottom of your ovenproof dish
Add a layer of mince meat sauce
Repeat this process until your last layer is mince meat sauce
In a small pan, add the flour, milk and butter and stir on a low heat. Mixture should be a creamy sauce.
Spread the sauce over the lasagne and grate the cheese over the top
Bake for around 35 to 40 mins at 180°C until golden brown.
Enjoy with a crispy salad!
Don’t forget to pin this on PINTEREST! Follow The Gluten Free Greek