This delicious pineapple and cherry upside down cake was a winner for all my family. I came home after work and my dad had practically eaten half of it! Simple and perfect for the summer season, this cake is delicious on its own or accompanied with some ice cream! Let’s get this summer started!
Pineapple Upside Down Cake
- For the topping
- 50 g softened butter
- 50 g light brown sugar
- 7/8 pineapple rings in juice, drained
- handful glace cherries
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- For the cake
- 100 g softened butter
- 100 g golden caster sugar
- 100 g gluten free self raising flour
- 1/2 tsp xantham gum
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 eggs
- Heat oven to 180°C /160°C fan/gas mark 4. For the topping, beat butter and sugar together until a creamy consistency. Spread over the base and about a quarter of the way up the sides of a 8 inch round cake tin. Arrange the pineapple rings on the top, and place cherries in the centre of the rings.
Place the cake ingredients in a bowl, with 2 tbsp of pineapple juice. Using an electric whisk, beat to a soft consistency. Spoon the mixture on top of the pineapple and smooth out so that it is level.
- Bake for 35 mins and leave to stand for 5 mins, before turning out onto a plate.
- Serve warm with a dollop of ice cream!
Don’t forget to PIN on pinterest! Check out my PINTEREST BOARD here!