There’s nothing more christmasy then making giant marshmallow pistachio chocolate cookies! The smell of cookies wafting around the kitchen is so comforting! When I first made some cookies back in 2012, I was disappointed that the cookies were not ‘glued together’ as they would a non gluten free cookie. I have tried and tested a few ready made cookie dough mixtures such as Angels and Cookies dough, but still get a little bit of a crumble here and there, so do not fret! Sometimes that’s the way the cookie crumbles.
I decided to make gluten free and dairy free cookies. My first idea was to shape them into gingerbread people, but that wouldn’t have worked, so I settled on making giant cookies instead! I added pistachio nuts to a few of them, but you could add other dried ingredients if you are allergic to nuts or don’t want to use them. I added some gluten and dairy free chocolate chunks which I broke (bashed) into pieces, but you can buy already made dairy free chocolate chips.
I seem to find cookie making rather tricky due to the crumbliness of things, and I tend to make a huge mess in the kitchen, but I still enjoyed these cookies with a nice cup of tea. They were completely weird in shape, but soft and squishy, which is just how I like them!
Here’s the recipe!
Giant Marshmallow cookies gluten free and dairy free
- 100 g dairy free dark chocolate
- 75 g dairy free butter
- 160 g caster sugar
- 150 g gluten free self raising flour
- 75 g ground almonds
- 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp vanilla essence
- 1 egg beaten
- 25 g mini marshmallows
- 20 g dairy free chocolate
- handful crushed pistachios optional
- Line an oven tray with baking paper
- Pre-heat oven to 160° C/Gas mark 3
- Melt the 100g of chocolate in a heatproof bowl and leave to cool.
- Mix the butter and caster sugar with an electric whisk until light and fluffy. Add in the beaten egg and mix well.
- In a separate bowl, sieve the flour, baking powder and salt and mix them.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients. Mix with a spatula until well combined.
- Chill in the fridge for 20 mins.
- Make small balls from the dough and place them on the tray. I used my ice cream scoop. Flatten them down with your hand. You can make smaller cookies or large ones like mine, but don't forget to space them out well as they will get quite large! You may want to use two trays!
- Place chocolate chunks, marshmallows and sprinkle the nuts over the cookies.
- Bake for 15 mins
- Transfer cookies to cooling rack and leave to cool. They should be soft and squishy! Enjoy!
Don’t forget to pin on pinterest! Check out my pinterest board!
Also, if you make these cookies, don’t forget to share and tag #theglutenfreegreekuk
You can follow me on my social media links: