I have wanted to make some buckwheat bread for a while and now that a family friend has kindly given me a whole batch of buckwheat flour, I decided it was time to do some bread making! Buckwheat flour is a confusing one and it still puzzles me to this day. Some buckwheat flour can contain traces of gluten and some buckwheat flour is gluten free, wheat free, vegetarian and vegan, so do keep a look out for this or contact the supplier first if you are unsure. Also, check that the yeast is gluten free.
Buckwheat Bread Recipe Prep Time: 2 hours | Cook Time: 30 mins
You will need:
500g (16 0z) gluten free buckwheat flour
350 ml lukewarm water
2 tbsp vegetable oil or sunflower oil
2 tsp sugar
1 tsp salt
2 tsp dried yeast (I used Doves Farm Quick Yeast)
1 tsp salt
1 tsp vinegar
50g toasted pumpkin seeds/sesame seeds that have been blitzed in the blender (optional)
What to do:
1. Add the yeast and sugar into the water. Mix well and leave for 10 minutes for the yeast to do its magic!
2. Break the eggs into a bowl and add the vegetable oil. Beat well until mixture is smooth and frothy.
3. Put flour into a bowl and make a well in the centre. (If using pumpkin seeds add them in here) Add the salt and add in the egg mixture, the vinegar and the yeast/water mix. Stir well with a spoon until you have a thick batter. It should drop off the spoon slowly.
4. Pour the batter into a lightly greased 22cm by 11 cm loaf tin. Spread the mixture evenly.
5. Cover with cling film or a plastic bag and leave in a warm place to let the mixture rise. This should take about 2 hours.
6. Once mixture has risen, bake at 180°C / 356 °F for a fan oven or 220°C /430 °F for 3o mins.
*If the mixture doesn’t drop off the spoon, add a little more water. To check the loaf is cooked give the bottom of the loaf a tap and if it sounds hollow then it is done!
Buckwheat bread does have quite an earthy texture, which is why some people do not like it. I toasted it and added butter and jam. It lasts only for a few days, so maybe make some and store in the freezer.
Have you pinned this? Check out my pinterest!