Fed up with the cold January weather? Want an easy winter recipe? Then try my gluten free cottage pie! This should keep you warm and cheery! Opa!
You will need:
1000g lean mince beef (or lamb if you prefer)
2 large white onions
2kg maris piper potatoes, peeled
150g strong mature cheddar
cup of frozen peas
Gluten Free beef or lamb stock cube
500g carton of Pasata or tinned tomatoes
250ml milk or cream
1. Boil the mince in water (make sure water covers the mince)
2. Cook mince until most of the water has disappeared (as if by magic!)
3. Add the pasata and 1 and a 1/2 pints of beef stock and finely chopped onions
4. Cook for 40 mins until the meat is tender
5. Add the frozen peas (for the last 5 mins)
6. Add a pinch of salt and pepper
For the potatoes:
1. Boil potatoes until very soft.
2.Drain and mash with milk and butter.
3. Add half the grated cheese, add salt and pepper to taste.
Layer the mince meat first in an oven proof dish. I normally use my grandmothers round stainless steel Tepsi (28 cm) but in the picture above I have used an oven proof rectangular dish.
Add the potatoes to cover the mince meat and sprinkle on the grated cheese.
Cook for around 35 mins at 180°C until golden brown.
Enjoy with a crispy salad!